CHPC / NITheCS CODING SUMMER SCHOOL
The Summer School is jointly organised by the Centre for High Performance Computing (CHPC) of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research and the National Institute for Theoretical Computational Science (NITheCS).
This flagship event offers a basic programming course to introduce students to Linux (Ubuntu) command line and bash scripting, and the Python programming language. This is followed by introductions to Foundations of Theoretical and Computational Sciences, with topics such as Data Visualisation, Data Analysis, Modeling and Simulation, Stochastic Methods, Machine Learning and Software Management.
In-person tutorials and workshops are held to put material into practice. Students are challenged to actively solve problems that lecturers pose and also learn on their own.
Summer School 2023
The 13th CHPC Coding Summer School & The 5th NITheCS Summer School on the Foundations of Theoretical and Computational Science was held at various university campuses from 30 January – 10 February.
6 February (Week 2 – Day 1):
- STEM Talk: HPC Ecosystems In Africa – Mr Bryan Johnston
- Introduction to SymPy – Prof Francesco Petruccione: Lecture 1 | Lecture 2
- Introduction to SymPy – Matt Lourens: Tutorial 1 – part 1 / – part 2 | Tutorial 2
7 February (Week 2 – Day 2):
- STEM Talk: Introduction to Quantum Computing – Prof Francesco Petruccione
- Probability Theory and Statistics – Prof Uwe Jaekel: Lecture 1 | Lecture 2 | Tutorial 1 | Tutorial 2
8 February (Week 2 – Day 3):
- STEM Talk: SAMRC – Dr Pritika Ramharack
- Ordinary Differential equations – Dr Graeme Pleasance: Lecture 1 | Lecture 2
9 February (Week 2 – Day 4):
- STEM Talk: Introduction to Qiskit – Ian David
- Partial Differential Equations – Prof Uwe Jaekel: Lecture 1 | Lecture 2 | Tutorial 1 | Tutorial 2
10 February (Week 2 – Day 5):